Top Tracks of 2014

I found this picture somewhere on the internet.

Clearly my enthusiasm for blogging has wavered once again! That said, this post has been weeks in the making and my pure slothenliness means that on the 6th January I’m only just getting around to posting it.

Music makes up about 75% of my day (the other 25% is spent sleeping). From waking up to my radio alarm going off to working in a radio station and sneakily popping on my headphones in search of new music its fair to say, listening to music is close to an obsession.

2014 however was a shit year for music, or so I thought when I set out to make this list. Nothing sprang to mind as the ‘Soundtrack of my Summer’ or ‘Song That Spoke to Me’. I’ve had a pretty turbulent year to be honest and perhaps my been more self absorbed than absorbed in the music.

Music has been there in the background of course, but my energy has gone into coping with selling the family home, seeing my best friend move to Australia and losing my Granddad; rather than enthusiasm over the latest dance floor anthem.

But then I got on a roll… and what went from not even being able to find 10 songs, turned into a list of 25. So here is the list of songs that made my 2014…

Kiesza – Hideway
Heard this really early on in the year and loved it. It went on to be a huge hit too.

Oliver Dollar – Pushing On
Dance tune of the year, Tensnake played it in his set at Parklife and the crowd went off! Good to dance to.

Rita Ora – I Will Never Let You Down
Great pop song, it came our around my birthday so reminds me of cake!

Zhu – Faded
Found this when I was in one of my SoundCloud click and listen binges. A diamond in the rough.

Oliver Heldens – Gecko (Overdrive)
Totally cheese dance track but I just love big banger like this. I have sung aloud in my car to this song many a time.

Caribou – Can’t Do Without You
What can I say, this is my best friend and I’s song of 2014. We listened to this a lot on our road trip holiday just before she headed back to Australia. Reminds me of her.

Ed Sheeran – Don’t
Hate Ed Sheeran, fucking love this song (only this one though)

Alt- J – Hunger Of The Pines
Such a good song, haunting and mesmerising… with a Miley Cyrus sample!

MNEK – Every Little Word
You fuck to this shit?  So fucking funky, always gets me bobbing my head along.

Tensnake – See Right Through
Close your eyes and lose yourself. Beautiful, and Tensnake has my #1 Favourite Album of 2014

Mark Ronson – Uptown Funk
You had me at Fleur East.

Jessie J – Bang, Bang
Pop record of the year. One day I will manage the Minaj rap!

Jungle – The Heat
This song oozes summer.

Wankelmut – My Head Is A Jungle
Yes, I do try and sing along.

Ella Henderson – Ghost
What a voice, great song and she’s from where I’m from!

Secondcity – I Wanna Feel
I dare you not to dance.

Sia – Chandelier
We all want to swing from the Chandelier with Sia.

Hozier – Take Me To Church
This song pops out at you, it’s nice to hear something fresh amongst all the same old, same old on the radio.

Henry Krinkle – Stay
I think someone could accuse me of being a deep house fan. This song woke me back up again after a bit of a music lull late summer.

Jessie Ware – Say You Love Me
Oh Jessie, I love you. I wish I could sing just so I could sing your songs.  So much heart and soul.

Sigam – Changing
Paloma Faith is underrated in my opinion, with a little help from Sigma she got a well deserved number one. Who doesn’t love a bit of D&B.

Lapsley – Falling Short
A late comer, I only heard this song for the first time in December.  Love her voice, I’m looking forward to hearing more from Lapsley in 2015.

Jamie XX – All Under One Roof Raving
Everything Jamie XX touches turns to gold in my opinion.

SBTRKT – New Drop. New York
Something totally different from SBTRKT and a great welcome first song back in the summer ahead of the new album.

Catfish and the Bottlemen – Pacifier
Rock music made a resurgence in 2014, top quality indy pop from Catfish and The Bottlemen.

You can listen to the full playlist on Spotify –

Advertisements

Your comments are welcomed

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s